Lisp Tech Corner News
In this issue
- Haystax presents: Advanced Analytic Techniques for Insider Threat Detection (using Lisp, Prolog, and AllegroGraph)
- Tech Corner Article: Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) Update and a useful script when using EC2
- Press Release: Haystax and Franz Inc. Partner to Deliver Insider Threat Detection Solutions
- EcoCyc: Encyclopedia of E. coli Genes and Metabolism
- Gruff v5.6 Now Available!
- AllegroCache v3.0 Now Available!
- AllegroGraph v5.0 Coming Soon!
- European Lisp Symposium, April 20-21, Goldsmiths University, London, UK
- Follow us on Google Plus, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Training Schedule
Haystax presents: Advanced Analytic Techniques for Insider Threat Detection (using Lisp, Prolog, and AllegroGraph)
Wednesday, January 21, 10:00 AM Pacific
Insiders are one of the top categories of data breaches according to recent reports by the FBI, Forrester Research and Verizon. In just the last year, high profile data breaches at Target, AT&T, and Morgan Stanley show that no organization is immune and all organizations must take steps to identify and protect themselves from insider threats.
In this webinar Haystax describes an analytic approach that enables the continuous risk monitoring of insider threat based on the fusion of high and low frequency entity-related events via temporal relevance models and a probabilistic risk model. Haystax begins by providing an overview of their approach and the challenges faced when integrating events of widely disparate frequency. Next, they describe two forms of event temporal relevance they use to enable the model to fuse infrequent events (e.g. public records life events) with high frequency events (e.g. network activity). Finally, Haystax describes how they've used Franz's Allegro Common Lisp, Allegro Prolog, and AllegroGraph, with Norsys Netica to create a practical implementation of our analytic approach suitable for practical use.
To register for this webinar, see here
Tech Corner Article: Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) Update and a useful script when using EC2
There was an update to the Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) API for Allegro CL 9.0 released in late 2014. The documentation, EC2.htm, describes the update, which mostly involves using Version 4 signing. The linked tech corner article briefly discusses the update and then shows a program which can be used to tell how much using EC2 will cost you. (The progam can be run as a script on UNIX platforms or as a Lisp program.) You are shown where you must make modifications based on your system. The article is here.
Read the full Tech Corner Article here
Haystax and Franz Inc. Partner to Deliver Insider Threat Detection Solutions
Haystax Technology, Inc., and Franz Inc., announced a technology partnership that will enable Haystax to leverage Franz's AllegroGraph technology for patented algorithms and sophisticated behavior models used in Haystax's insider threat detection solutions. Haystax's solutions, which are being rapidly adopted by the U.S. government and Fortune 500 companies, are more advanced than traditional rules-based and brute-force processing approaches in identifying the types of risks and the potential impact of their actions that individuals pose to an organization.
To view the entire press release, see here.
EcoCyc: Encyclopedia of E. coli Genes and Metabolism
EcoCyc, a member of the BioCyc Database Collection, is a bioinformatics database that describes the genome and the biochemical machinery of Escherichia coli K-12 MG1655. The long-term project goal is to facilitate a system-level understanding of E. coli by cataloguing the cell's molecular components and their functions. EcoCyc is an electronic reference source for biologists who work with E. coli and related microorganisms.
The EcoCyc website supports comparative analyses of multiple E. coli strains and analysis of high-throughput data.
For additional information, see here
Gruff v5.6 - Now Available
New Features include:
- Enhanced SPARQL Endpoint Functionality
- Dragging a node in the graph view will now snap it into alignment with other nearby nodes whenever it is nearly aligned. This makes it easier to exactly align nodes with each other horizontally or vertically, to look as good as possible for presentation. See the new option "Visual Graph Options | Node and Link Spacing | Snap Alignment Resolution" and its sibling "Snap Alignment Reach". This can be disabled by setting the resolution to zero.
- The new command "Link | Display Non-Leaf Linked Nodes" is similar to "Link | Display Linked Nodes for the Current Predicates", but it avoids displaying any new nodes that would be leaf nodes if they were displayed. This is basically a much faster version of displaying paths between each pair of a group of highlighted nodes (or from the selected node to other displayed nodes) for paths that are up to two links long (or three links for smaller stores).
- Efficiency improvements were made for "Link | Display Linked Nodes for the Current Predicates" (the F command).
- The new command "Select | Highlight All Nodes" facilitates applying a command to all nodes when it's a command that works on all highligted nodes.
- The positioning of link labels in the graph view has been improved somewhat, including sometimes stacking individual words of the label along the link line.
- The dialogs for opening or creating a store have a new Scheme widget where you can specify HTTPS if the AllegroGraph server is configured to require secure transactions.
- Numerous Enhancements and Optimizations
See the full list of new features and improvements in the release notes
AllegroCache v3.0 Now Available!
New features in v3.0
Read the press release here
Read the AllegroCache product page here
AllegroGraph v5.0 Coming Soon!
AllegroGraph will deliver a New 3D and multi-dimensional geospatial functionality.
AllegroGraph has long supported two-dimensional encoding in both spherical and Cartesian systems. The 5.0 release includes a new implementation called nD for "N-Dimensional". It has powerful new capabilities, a simpler, more intuitive API, and automates some of the setup tasks for geospatial.
Although the term geospatial refers specifically to positions on or around the earth's surface, AllegroGraph supports a more-general notion of n-dimensional ordinates systems that could be used in fields such as semiconductor manufacturing and biology, to name a couple.Additional New features include:
- Update to new Sesame 2.7.x transactional semantics
- Update to new Apache Jena v2.6.x
- The server supports new optional specific transaction "begin"
- Improved support for encrypted client connections
- WebView query page enhancements: display of execution time and abort options
- Query Engine optimizations
- Support for Top Braid Composer 4.6
If you are interested in receiving an early release, please send mail to email@example.com
European Lisp Symposium, April 20-21, Goldsmiths University, London, UK
The purpose of the European Lisp Symposium is to provide a forum for the discussion and dissemination of all aspects of design, implementationand application of any of the Lisp and Lisp-inspired dialects, including Common Lisp, Scheme, Emacs Lisp, AutoLisp, ISLISP, Dylan, Clojure, ACL2, ECMAScript, Racket, SKILL, Hop and so on. We encourage everyone interested in Lisp to participate.
Submission Deadline: February 22
Early Registration Deadline: March 29
For additional conference information, see here
Follow us on Google Plus, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
BECOME ALLEGRO CERTIFIED - To obtain your Allegro CL Certification enroll in our LIVE Program which offers developers an opportunity to learn and improve their Lisp programming skills from the comfort of their home or office while interacting with the Franz instructor.
Lisp Programming Series Level I: Basic Lisp Essentials - February 11, 18, 25
Lisp Programming Series Level II: Specialized Components of Lisp - March 4, 11, 18
For additional information and to register, see here.
Subscribe to Franz RSS feeds: RSS Feeds